Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Max's Wine Dive

This new definitively "dive" bar/restaurant was a sight for sore eyes. Located on 3rd and San Jacinto, Sunday brunch timing provides a nice change from typical parking situations downtown. Not only was their food incredible but they also offer a unique twist on alcoholic brunch beverages including a mimosa with grapefruit juice instead of orange. Definitely a new favorite of mine.


My amazing foodie friend and food expert Lindsay Lehfeld accompanied me this past Sunday and beat me to the best thing on the menu. Of course we couldn't order the same thing so I conceded but luckily for me she was amenable to sharing.


Three pan-fried eggs drizzled with truffle oil and Maldon sea salt, topped with three slabs of Applewood smoked bacon and Veldhuizen Farms gruyere, organic Bibb lettuce, hothouse tomato, and garlic black truffle aioli, sandwiched between two pieces of Waltons Bakery bread and served with hand-cut chips.


Oh truffle oil, how do I love thee, let me count the ways. Any chef who uses truffle oil in two different ways on one dish is a hero in my book. I took a bite of this INCREDIBLE sandwich and it might be too ridiculous to say that it changed my life however I would not be opposed to going back and getting one of my own. My only complaint was the temperature of the tomato. It threw me off just a tiny bit with the other warm ingredients dripping all over my face and the table.



The second best option, which I chose, was the nutella banana french toast. Thick-cut Texas toast stuffed with Nutella and banana, then battered and fried…with a side of bacon. Who doesn't love nutella? This dish was intriguing and delectable but slightly under the radar for impressiveness considering the caliber of the egg sandwich. I would've preferred more nutella and banana and less cake/bread.


I would give the atmosphere an 8 out of 10 and price ranged from $8-$15, drinks also being similarly priced.


To see for yourself visit http://www.maxswinedive.com/austin/menus/index.php

3 comments:

  1. Can I get a side of "potatoes not worth mentioning" to go, please? THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious and I can see what you mean about the french toast being too bready. They are new though so I'm sure they are still working out the kinks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll go ahead and say it- the fried egg sandwich changed my life!

    ReplyDelete